Persistent Pests (Optional Quest) in MHW
- Quest Type: Optional Quest
- Quest Location: Rotten Vale
- Quest Rank: 4
The Chief Botanist suspects that a secret is hidden within the Rotten Vale that is connected to the new Ancient Tree growth but the area is infested with pests known as Hornetaurs.
The Hornetaurs infest the Rotten Vale and can be found in large numbers, so in order for you to clear a way for the researchers, you will need to cull their numbers.
Your objective for this quest is to head to the Rotten Vale and kill Hornetaurs to cause their numbers to diminish.
- Quest Type: Slaying Quest
- Objective: Slay 14 Hornetaur
- Quest Giver: Chief Botanist (Quest Board)
You will need to start out in Southeast Camp (1) and choose to either start in Sector 1 or Sector 3, proceeding to Sector 4, following a rotation around the map.
The Hornetaurs can be found in those three sectors and doing a whole rotation of the area will eventually get you to complete killing the amount required.
It is also possible to kill the Horenetaurs in the area and wait for new ones to spawn as they appear quicker than possible.
You can choose to do the whole rotation or simple wait for new ones to spawn.
The Persistent Pests quest will be finished once you have slain 14 Hornetaur in total and you will afterwards be rewarded with 2,529 Zenny.
A Botanical Research slot will be unlocked once the quest has been completed.
- Hornetaurs can easily be killed with a hit or a few but it’s wise to watch out for other monsters in the area and to keep an eye out for materials you may need.
- To save time, it’s best to lure the Hornetaurs together and attack them at the same time, so that they spawn in together or you can quickly proceed to the next.